The following full-page newspaper ad from Back to Basics is going to run in twenty newspapers across the state on Tuesday, ten weeks from election day:
A h/t to Mean Rachel, who got the scoop and had the ad up first late last night.
Today, the Eagle in Bryan-College Station editoralized against Rick Perry refusing to debate: “Perry owes it to Texans to debate White“:
Perry should debate White, but he won't. He would rather make scripted appearances before groups of cheering, sycophantic Texans who are going to vote for him anyway.
That's fine, but what about the rest of Texas voters who are trying to decide for whom to vote? Debates could help them make their choice.
Perry wonders what White is hiding but not releasing his 12-year-old tax records. We wonder what Perry is hiding. He refuses to meet with editorial boards at Texas newspapers large and small. Now, he won't debate.
What is he hiding from the people he was elected to serve? It's fine to speak to groups of supporters. His ego certainly gets a boost.
But he is governor of all Texans and answerable not only to those who love him, but to the rest who aren't sure.
Perry might not like the questions asked and the issues raised in public debates. That's too bad. If he wants to keep his job, he needs to let Texans raise them.
Previously on BOR:
- KPRC-TV in Houston: Video Editorial Calls on Rick Perry to Debate
- Day 100 of Rick Chicken Perry Refusing to Debate
- Rick “Chicken” Perry Campaign Hosts Bill White Press Conference
- Day 49 of Rick Perry Refusing to Debate: Repub. Consultant Says Bill White is Perry's “Nightmare”
- Day 45 of Rick Perry's Refusal to Debate: “Let's Call That What It Is. CRAP.”