Rick Perry's decision to live in a $10,000-a-month rental mansion on the taxpayer's dime is not sitting well with Texans from across the state, especially at a time when Perry is asking everyone in Texas to tighten their belts. The latest outcry comes from KVII-TV in Amarillo, Texas. They have run a poll on their website asking:
With the state facing a budget shortfall, do you think it's right for Governor Rick Perry to spend more than $10,000 a month in taxpayer money for a rent house?Yes — 10%No — 90%Total Votes: 1789
The TV station has run the poll all week. On Tuesday of last week, 600 people had responded to their poll — which prompted KVII to take notice. They called the Governor's office looking for a response to their poll, and got no reply. Here's their video report:
The full write-up of their story is below:
AMARILLO,TEXAS — Governor Perry has already commented on his current housing situation to members of the press in Austin, but we watned to let him in on our connectamarillo.com webpoll from Monday night.
When asked by the press, his response about the state's money spent on housing “If that's the best cut anybody's got of leadership in the state of Texas, then bring it on.”
We called his office Tuesday to get a response on our webpoll and voter's opinions, speaking with a lady who identified herself as Ashton.
“We're just trying to get some kind of a reaction from you guys today.”
“Okay…who are you with?”
“KVII-TV in Amarillo.”
“Okay, I'll let you know.”
“Thank you very much.”
Ashton never called back.
We did some digging and found that 8 years ago when Mike Huckabee was Governor of Arkansas, his family lived in a triple wide mobile home for three years while their mansion was renovated. Compared to current spending here, that cost was 1/20 what Governor Perry is spending.
Previously on BOR
- Becky Moeller & the Texas AFL-CIO Offer Rick Perry Alternative Housing for $1 a Year
- Rick Perry's $10,000-a-Month Rental Mansion On TV, In Cartoons
- Rick Perry's $10,000 a Month Rental Mansion Comes With a $700 Clothes Rack
- Food & Wine Magazine, TDP, Rep. Jim Dunnam Respond to Rick Perry's Rental Mansion Extravagance
- Rick Perry's $225,000 Vanity Plate
- Rick Perry Drives a Mercedes Benz, Lives in a $1.85 Million Mansion
- Rick Perry Shot the Coyote Outside His $9,000-a-Month Taxpayer Funded Rental Mansion
- Rick Perry: Why a Rental Mansion?