Former Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia startled many when he announced last week that he would be challenging long-serving Congressman Gene Green in the primary race for congressional district 29. Garcia explained how his unsuccessful mayoral campaign prompted this decision:
“What I learned during my mayoral campaign was that the Hispanic community is excited to have their candidate.”
What tomorrow’s press conference will demonstrate, apparently, is that they aren’t actually all that excited for Adrian Garcia to be their candidate.
Standing on the dais to pledge their support for Congressman Green will be:
- Texas State Senator Sylvia R. Garcia
- Texas State Senator John Whitmire
- Texas State Representative Ana Hernandez
- State Representative Garnet F. Coleman
- State Representative Armando Walle
- State Representative Carol Alvarado
- County Constable, Precinct 2, Chris Diaz
It will be interesting to see how quickly, if at all, Garcia can line up any significant endorsements, and whether they will help him turn out voters come March.