2014 was a big year for Texas politics, and Burnt Orange Report was there to bring you the biggest moments. From the heights of the Democratic women who took on electoral challenges to the lowest moments of Republican hypocrisy, BOR took Texans along for the ride.
Below, take a look at our staff’s top posts as measured in page views for 2014.
12. Texan Candidate for U.S. Senate: Barack Obama is a “Son of a Bitch” and “Wetbacks” Should Be Shot, Genevieve Cato, February 24, 2014
2014 saw a slate of the most extreme conservative candidates ever, including racist Republican candidate Chris Mapp.
11. Rick Perry Signed Reduced Budget On DPS Border Security, Wants GOP To Kill Bill Addressing Crisis, Joe Deshotel, July 13, 2014
Thousands of Central American refugees poured across the Texas border this summer, and Rick Perry handled it in pretty much the worst way possible.
10. Rick Perry, Under Criminal Investigation, Asks to Sneak in to Grand Jury Hearing through Back Door, Katie Singh, May 18, 2014
Rick Perry’s indictment on corruption charges this year turned out to be the gift that kept on giving.
9. Ted Cruz Reveals What He’d Do if Elected President – And it’s Even Worse Than You Thought, Katie Singh, October 22, 2014
Stories about Ted Cruz drew lots of traffic, both from Texans tired of the senator’s Tea Party-antics, and from Cruz’s supporters who littered BOR with angry comments.
8. BREAKING: Ted Cruz Loses Texas Residency Due to Time Spent in Iowa, Must Renounce Senate Seat, Katie Singh, April 1, 2014
This April Fool’s post is sadly not true, but that didn’t stop thousands of Texans from sharing it with the hope that Ted Cruz might not be our senator anymore.
7. Bra Store in Austin Refused to Serve Trans Woman Without Proof of Bottom Surgery, Natalie San Luis, July 2, 2014
Austin bra store Petticoat Fair’s insensitive treatment of a trans customer made headlines this summer.
6. Republican Congressman Blake Farenthold Is The Proud Owner of Blow-Me.Org, Katherine Haenschen, December 15, 2014
It should come as no surprise that the Republican congressman who is the proud owner of ducky pajamas is also the owner of blow-me.org.
5. Breaking: Wendy Davis Raises Unprecedented Amount Of Money; Beats Greg Abbott Across All Committees, Ben Sherman, January 15, 2014
Wendy Davis may have ultimately lost the race for governor, but it’s worth remembering that her candidacy showed the nation that Texas Democrats are indeed capable of raising serious cash.
4. “Cold Beer and Titties”: Sexism at Texas Boys State Conference, Jess Stoner, June 27, 2014
This guest post exposing rampant sexism at the Texas Boys State Conference drew viewers from across the country who were shocked at how Texas high school students were encouraged to demean women.
3. Texas Man Arrested For Carrying AR-15 Around Mall Could Hurt Greg Abbott’s Push For Open Carry, Joe Deshotel, January 3, 2014
2014 also saw the push for the open carry of firearms gain momentum, led by people like this genius in Beaumont who carried an assault rifle around a mall.
2. Tea Party Republican Todd Kincannon: Wendy Davis is a “Looker,” “Hooker,” and a “Whore”, Genevieve Cato, January 30, 2014
Wendy Davis’s candidacy for governor really brought out the best in lots of Republicans–and by best, we mean new lows in sexist drivel that we didn’t think were possible.
1. Rep. Louie Gohmert On Why He Joined Congress: I Wanted to Stop Single Moms from Getting Welfare, Katie Singh, January 10, 2014
Louie Gohmert can always be counted on to bring the crazy to Congress, and his diatribe against single mothers on the House floor led to BOR’s most trafficked post of the year.