As Rick Perry's campaign ramps up, the media is starting to take a much, much closer look at Perry. To help you keep a handle on it, here's an index of archives, articles, microsites, and more. We'll keep adding as his campaign goes on.
There's a lot below the jump. Click to go to…
Got a link you think needs to be included? Post it in the comments.
Perry Media Archives
Kudos to many of our Texas media and research outlets, who have already compiled all of their work on Perry over the last two decades into handy and thorough lists. Amateur oppo researchers will need a stay-cation to dig through it all. Perry Trap, Trove or Trail, there's a lot of really good stuff here, so when you're trying to find an article past or present from an actual news source backing up your assertions that Rick Perry is really actually not OK, this is a great place to start.
- Austin American-Statesman — The Perry Files
Extensive coverage of controversies, issues, and op-eds throughout Perry's time as Governor.
- The Austin Chronicle — The Perry Trap
Extremely thorough, organized thematically by issue and past offices held.
- Dallas Morning News — Perry Watch
Archive of news stories and photos, plus Twitter aggregator. Kind of difficult to navigate.
- Politifact Texas — Rick Perry's File
Guess who leads the state in False and Pants on Fire ratings?
- Texans for Public Justice — The Rick Perry Primer
Mega-bundlers, pay-to-play political appointees, ethical lapses and more from the non-profit that tracks corruption in Texas politics.
- Texas Monthly — The Perry Trove
Links to worldwide Perry news, all Perry-related tweets, and every article they've ever written on him.
- The Texas Observer — The Perry Trail
Contemporary coverage, plus articles covering major scandals of the past 5 years.
- The Texas Tribune — Perrypedia
Exhaustive page of news, videos, donor history, links, everything.
So much failure, so many ways to arrange it in easy-to-share websites. There is zero doubt in my mind that the list of creative, clever Perry microsites will only grow. Does his hair have its own webpage yet?
Perry Important Reads
Good/important/investigative/in-depth articles you might specifically want to refer to again and again.
- Rick Perry's Crony Capitalism Problem, Charles Dameron, The Wall Street Journal, August 13, 2011
How the Emerging Technology Fund seems to end up in the pockets of Perry's biggest donors.
- Rick Perry and the Myth of the 'Texas Miracle', Merrill Goozner, The Fiscal Times, August 12, 2011
The truth behind those economic statistics Perry keeps touting, and why the worst is yet to come in Texas.
- Should Perry get credit for Texas economy?, Laylan Copelin, Austin American-Statesman, July 17, 2011
If you have to ask… Tight homeowner regulations and the energy industry played a big role, but now things are forecast to get much worse.
- The Business of Governing, Dallas Morning News, January 17, 2011
On the eve of Perry's third elected term as governor, DMN looks at how Texas is “open for business” for Perry's political allies.
- Trial By Fire, David Grann, The New Yorker, September 7, 2009
Lengthy article on the Cameron Todd Willingham case, aka the time Rick Perry may have executed an innocent man.
- Reluctant governor yields on HPV shots, Janet Elliott, Houston Chronicle, May 9, 2007
Perry says “look women in the eyes” and tell them about his political connections to the vaccine manufacturer.
- Rick Perry's Ties With Merck Run Deep, KBTX TV, February 2007
Merck doubled its lobbying budget; Perry's order could generate millions in revenue for the pharmaceutical corporation.
- Vaccine Meeting, Merck Donation Coincide, Liz Austin Peterson, AP, February 21, 2007
Deirdre Delisi, then-Perry chief of staff, had a policy meeting on HPV the same day Merck shoveled $10K into Republican coffers.
Perry Facts, in List Form
Some of the Type A's out there might prefer all of this Perry information organized in a list. Here they are. Not to be confused with @rickperryfacts.
- 8: Dear Yankee: Eight Things you ought to know before you start writing stories about Rick Perry, Paul Burka, Texas Monthly, August 2011
- 10: Top 10 Things Texas Gov. Rick Perry Doesn't Want You to Know About Him, ThinkProgress, June 10, 2011
- 10: Ten reasons why the Texas economy is growing that have nothing to do with Rick Perry, Jeanna Smialek, Houston Chronicle, July 31, 2011
- 10: The Ten Weirdest Ideas In Rick Perry's Fed Up, Matt Yglesias, ThinkProgress, August 15, 2011
- 50: Fifty things you need to know about Rick Perry, Dallas Morning News, August 4, 2011
Perry's Major Speeches
All in one handy place. We'll add campaign speeches as they occur, as well as any important other addresses or statements he made during the last decade.
State of the State Addresses
- 2011 State of the State Address, February 8, 2011, Austin, Texas
- 2009 State of the State Address, January 27, 2009, Austin, Texas
- 2007 State of the State Address, February 6, 2007, Austin, Texas
- 2005 State of the State Address, January 26, 2005, Austin, Texas
- 2003 State of the State Address, February 12, 2003, Austin, Texas
- 2001 State of the State Address, January 25, 2001, Austin, Texas
- 2011 Inaugural Address, January 18, 2011, Austin, Texas
- 2007 Inaugural Address, January 16, 2007, Austin, Texas
- 2003 Inaugural Address, January 21, 2003, Austin, Texas
- All of Rick Perry's speeches in his capacity as Governor: Link
- All Press Releases from the Office of the Governor: Link