One of my biggest projects for Burnt Orange Report in recent election cycles has been the “Burnt Orange Political Report.” Launched on October 3, 2006 — and reprised exactly two years later, on October 3, 2008 — the report focused on competitive races in Texas. Feedback following those two reports, however, suggested that I move the timeline back a month and start earlier — so here we are, with a new date, and a new name.
The Texas Political Report is an overview of the most competitive races in Texas. Today, it launches with region-based coverage of twenty-one State House races. The pages for each State House district will evolve and expand in the coming weeks as we gather more feedback from both campaigns and people on the ground on the state of the races.
The content on each of the State House races is straightforward:
- An overview of the district, the issues, and the candidates in the race
- Fundraising totals from the June 30 report in each race
- Links to the district map and most recent election results for each race
- A one-stop shop for website, Facebook, and Twitter links for each candidate in each race
In approximately a month, I will re-evaluate the races — re-assessing field plans, and examining 30-day out finance reports — and most likely introduce the traditional “ranking” system for the project. For now, each State House race feature contains an argument on how a Democrat could win. In the next month, we will be updating these pages regularly with fresh content, analysis, audio, video, and more — notifying everyone of any changes on a regular basis. The box atop the top-center of our page will always link you back to this central page, so you can come back and revisit these posts as often as you'd like.
Without further ado, here are the races we've profiled this year:
- HD 133: Rep. Kristi Thibaut (D) vs. Jim Murphy (R)
- HD 134: Rep. Ellen Cohen (D) vs. Sarah Davis (R)
- HD 138: Kendra Yarbrough Camerena (D) vs. Rep. Dwayne Bohac (R)
- HD 144: Rick Molina (D) vs. Rep. Ken Legler (R)
North Texas-Area Races
- HD 93: Rep. Paula Pierson (D) vs. Barbara Nash (R)
- HD 96: Rep. Chris Turner (D) vs. Bill Zedler (R)
- HD 101: Rep. Robert Miklos (D) vs. Cindy Burkett (R)
- HD 102: Rep. Carol Kent (D) vs. Stefani Carter
- HD 105: Loretta Haldenwang (D) vs. Rep. Linda Harper-Brown
- HD 107: Rep. Allen Vaught (D) vs. Kenneth Sheets (R)
- HD 113: Jamie Dorris (D) vs. Rep. Joe Driver
- HD 114: John Wellik (D) vs. Rep. Will Hartnett (R)
Central Texas Races
- HD 17: Pati Jacobs (D) vs. Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt (R)
- HD 47: Rep. Valinda Bolton (D) vs. Paul Workman (R)
- HD 48: Rep. Donna Howard (D) vs. Dan Neil (R)
- HD 52: Rep. Diana Maldonado (D) vs. Larry Gonzales (R)
- HD 56: John Mabry (D) vs. Rep. Doc Anderson (R)
Other Key Races Across the State
- HD 3: Rep. Mark Homer (D) vs. Erwin Cain (R)
- HD 34: Rep. Abel Herrero (D) vs. Connie Scott (R)
- HD 78: Rep. Joe Moody (D) vs. Dee Margo (R)
- HD 85: Rep. Joe Heflin (D) vs. Jim Landtroop (R)
I want to sincerely thank two people who helped me compile this report: Aimee from Annie's List, for all her hard work on researching and evaluating our outstanding female candidates for us, and Ed Martin, my Dad and long-time political consultant whose expertise is always invaluable.
Thanks, and happy reading!