Ed. note: To follow along with the latest news about the TDP Convention, follow the BOR staff on Twitter.
Texas Democrats are energized and excited heading to the TDP State Convention this weekend. The latest polls have shown that, despite being known by 100% of Texans, Rick Perry still can't get above 50% in the polls. Perry has hit his ceiling, and has nowhere to go but down from here — especially as Bill White's campaign ramps up for their summer work.
There are two major, major reasons for Democrats to be excited:
- Bill White is running a fully-funded, professional statewide campaign
- Texas Republicans can't stop tripping over themselves
I write about what's happening with Bill White's campaign on a daily basis, and will have more about his campaign tomorrow, before the start of the TDP Convention. Before then, let's remind ourselves, quickly, of all the massive failures of Rick Perry and Texas Republicans from recent weeks:
Rick Perry’s Worst Month Ever
- Rental Mansion – Perry's rental mansion continues to drag him down; the latest TV ad from the Back to Basics PAC will continue to pile onto that story. Perry is living in a $10,000-a-month taxpayer-funded rental mansion. Meanwhile, Texans for Public Justice have filed an ethics complaint against Perry for his failure to properly disclose where the money comes and goes from his “mansion fund.”
Bill White, meanwhile, has agreed to live in a double-wide if elected Governor.
- Part-Time Perry – Perry’s state schedules show that Perry averages just seven hours of work per week, earning a rate of approximately $428.57 per hour. Texans expect a full-time governor, not someone who ignores an $18 billion budget deficit.
- Rick Chicken Perry – Described as “the cluck heard round the world” — Perry’s campaign team decided to host a press conference in front of Bill White’s headquarters. Instead of making whatever meaningless point they were trying to make, Perry’s team ended up as funny props for a Bill White rally. We have photos and video of Bill White supporters — including a guy in a chicken suit – holding signs and chanted “Rick Chicken Perry” and “Debate Bill Now!” in our wrap-up post, “Rick “Chicken” Perry Campaign Hosts Bill White Press Conference.”
- Republicans Agree: Perry May Not Win – Don’t take our word for it. Ask Republicans:
“[Bill White] is plain-spoken. He is very specific-oriented. He’s kind of our nightmare…” – former RPT political director, Royal Masset
“[Rick Perry]’s been lucky as a candidate. I think his luck runs out against Bill White.” – Jim McGrath, former Bush speechwriter
Texas Republicans: Corruption, Scandal, and Failure
- Joe Barton Apologizes to BP – Months ago, First Rick Perry suggests the BP disaster was simply an “act of God” and argued that BP “historically had a very good safety record.” Then Texas Republican Joe Barton apologized to BP, and then unapologized. Rick Perry and Texas Republicans want to defend BP instead of the victims of the senseless, man-made tragedy in the Gulf.
- Linda Harper-Benz – I mean, come on. And then the video? COME ON.
- Stefani Carter Plagiarism – Not only has she plagiarized, on video, parts of Obama’s speech, she also pads her résumé — trying to assert that she was a “fellow” at the Heritage Foundation (she was an intern), and further trying to claim she was a “columnist” for USA Today (she penned a couple guest pieces, but never worked for the paper).
- RPT in Disarray – The Republican Party of Texas convention in Dallas was supposed to be all about unity. Instead, facing well over $550,000 of debt, the Republican state party elected a new chair, Steve Munisteri, and passed a brutally divisive platform that highlights the extreme values of a party out-of-touch with Texans.
- Leo Berman Files for Speaker – Speaker of the House Joe Straus narrowly escaped a condemning resolution of his own during the RPT convention. Now Leo Berman, angry over Straus’ alleged moderate tendencies, has officially filed against him.